Monday, October 17, 2011

Back to "Normal"?

Boerne MOPS Meeting #2 happened today. I have to admit, I really, REALLY, REALLY didn't want to go. I didn't feel much like I fit at the September meeting... not because I was made to feel left out. The ladies there were VERY friendly and helpful. I just feel so old and backward compared to the moms there. I'm not stylish... I don't really like to shop that much... and I like to be comfortable. I have two-tone hair because I'm trying to grow off the fake and let the natural silver highlights take over.

I determined this past weekend that I would, in fact, be attending, if only for Jonathan's sake. It's not about me after all. Jonathan spends the majority of his time with me, playing with me or playing alone, depending on how busy I am each day. I get sick of me. I can't imagine how the poor baby manages with only a couple of mornings in the week to interact with little people his own age. So I prayed. HARD. I am an introvert who tries very hard to be an extrovert. It's exhausting. I love people and I come by that naturally. I'm very interested in the details of people's lives, but I'm not the gal that runs up and introduces herself to other folks. I need serious alone time to recharge.

I tiptoed in, purposefully a little late today so I wouldn't have to think of things to talk about, and found that we had a couple of new moms at the table with us. I'd had very little sleep the last couple of nights and we had company yesterday afternoon, so I was exhausted and not in the mood to pretend to be "Jackie the Extrovert."

At one point, the whole room was asked to pull out their cell phones to play a game. Only two of us pulled out "antique" phones. That other person happened to be sitting right next to me. I told her I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to play this game. She laughed... she wouldn't either. Neither of us had smart phones, neither of us text, neither of us are on Facebook, we both follow Dave Ramsey principles and we're right about the same age. I believe God sat us next to each other. We hit it off immediately. So, maybe I'll have a kindred spirit there at the pumpkin patch play date Thursday... and if she can't show, at least I'll know I have a kindred spirit out there... and I have her number!

Back to vacation pictures...

I have to back up a little bit for this post and revisit our first leg of the trip. Here are all my favorite guys lined up in one room (with the exception of Uncle Jeremy, Uncle Aaron and Uncle Josh)... the room of a gigantic RV that is! Bop drives RVs to dealerships throughout the country and he happened to be driving this one through Amarillo the day we arrived. Pretty great picture of all four of them... wouldn't you say? We stopped through Amarillo to stay the night with my parents before we headed on up to CO. So - we met up. I'm so glad we did! Jonathan had a great time with both Grandpas that weekend.

Pappa Jack, Jonathan and Bop in Amarillo

Two of a kind

Here we are in front of our cabin on the last day of our stay.


View from our cabin windows

Pappa Jack and Jonathan on the trip back home

Sleepyheads

We planned some time in Amarillo on the last leg of our vacation, and took a drive into Palo Duro Canyon with Grammy and Pappa Jack. Here are the proud grandparents with their little guy.

Allens at Palo Duro Canyon

So we're trying to get back to normal around here... whatever that is. Tis the season for food pantry donations, Christmas shoeboxes, trying to figure out Hallowe'en costumes and all that. I love this time of year. MOPS today, Bible Study tomorrow, a little guy that really needs more nap time, but, since we got back from CO, will only sleep for 45 minutes in his crib at a time. Argh. Thankfully he's not pulling that at night. From the sound of things, we may be sacking out in the recliner with Winnie the Pooh playing in the background in just a few minutes.

I'd decided to be much more intentional about learning time with Jonathan and have devised a schedule and toy/ playpen rotation that we're starting this week. The speaking session lined up exactly today at MOPS. I love it when that happens! The speaker provided a great a framework to go on. It's amazing how much more settled he seems and how happy he is when he can predict what's coming next in the day.

We live in a well-ordered creation and I believe the Creator crafted us with a desire for structure. If you're anything like me, a desire for adventure and impetuosity can rule a day more easily than a schedule... but going from controlled chaos to order and structure in our house has made a huge difference for him and me. Obviously, I've never needed to be more disciplined with my time than right now. I'm much more productive these days and spend a lot more quality time with Jonathan.

If you're the praying type, say a prayer for us in our next adventure... getting rid of the pacifier for good! Ha Ha! Hope this finds you all well! Hopefully we'll have pumpkin patch, Sea World and zoo pictures to share soon! Love from Boerne, Texas...

No comments: