Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ordinary Moments

I am constantly amazed by the delight my little guy takes in what I've relegated to the "ordinary."  He stops to investigate everything with a squeal or a loudly exclaimed "WOW!" or "See dat?"  Bugs, rocks, sticks, leaves, flowers -- they all become extraordinary through our sweet Jonathan's eyes.  I'm re-learning a lot from him.  

A very mild and wet winter has brought about one of the most glorious displays of spring wildflowers I've ever witnessed.  It also brought out the bugs and snakes.  I've seen two tarantulas and eight snakes this spring.  The tarantulas don't bother me so much, but the snakes make me a bit nervous.  We did the usual thing around here -- we set Jonathan loose in the bluebonnets and took some pictures.  I'll take more pictures in the coming weeks.  The bluebonnets are gone, but the roadsides and ranch lands are filled with indian blankets, coreopsis, verbena, wine cups, primrose, purple sage, indian paintbrush, white Texas prickly poppies, scarlet gaura, blackfoot daisies, Mexican hats, many species of thistles and with the recent rains, white lilies.  South Texas is spectacular this spring.  






Not only have we enjoyed some spectacular wildflowers this year, our tree out front became the home to hundreds of red admiral butterflies.  We enjoyed them for weeks before they went away.  Jonathan and I spent our craft time for several days at a table under our tree letting them flutter around us.   
What a gift. 

No comments: