Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Thanksgiving to Advent 2015

Tis the season for glittery faces and hair - for surreptitiously relocating ornaments hung twelve to a limb at the very bottom of the tree - for boxes and mess and craziness everywhere. I don't function well in the midst of chaos and clutter, but I'm determined to prioritize, however much it all threatens to drive me to loony toon land. 


Jason went to work the Friday after Thanksgiving, so we took some time to do something we should probably have done over a month ago. We planted daffodil bulbs! Hopefully a few of them will actually come up in the spring. Jonathan did most of the work and he did a great job! 



We must always stop to inspect the worms. 


We also pulled our popcorn off the cob... and then ate it almost as soon as Daddy got home.


And then there was Thanksgiving.  The meal wasn't a complete fail. However, comparable to the amount of time spent standing in the kitchen, it didn't amount to much. Me and meat don't really get along. I had this same issue one Easter with a ham. This time it was Cornish game hens. Anyway, they didn't happen until two days after Thanksgiving. But they happened. Meal and event planning...let's just say, they're not my gifts.



However, thanks to Jason, the pumpkin pie turned out great. This was only because Giant happened to be open on Thanksgiving Day and because Jason was willing to venture out to a grocery store for the ingredient I forgot.



Typically, after our meal, we get the tree up and hang a few "special" ornaments. That didn't happen until Friday evening. 


 This morning, we pulled our first "package" off the Advent tree. This is a little tradition we started about three years ago. I had Ann Voskamp's Greatest Gift Devotion and modified the lessons for the kids. I printed and laminated a set of free printable ornaments for a little tree on our porch. She authored another beautiful devotion in the same style for children called Unwrapping the Greatest Gift . I really love the way it takes a reader through Christ's family tree. Last year, I also found the idea for the Advent tree and the free printables on her website to make the envelopes for the ornaments. The kiddos light a candle on the Advent wreath every evening as well.
Hanging the first Advent ornament
Waiting for the carousel
Scoping out Santa's workshop

We were so spoiled in Texas. After a stir crazy day indoors yesterday, and no hope of the rain letting up until Wednesday afternoon, we did a little school, got Melanie to gymnastics (where Jon and I did a little more school) and then high-tailed it to Dulles Town Center Mall for some Chick-fil-a, a carousel ride and a romp in the big play area. We got a little break when we got home, finished school and then punctuated a very fine day with pizza! I do believe this may become a weekly event through the winter months.





Alright already!
Just a note on Melanie's health. Everyone around us has been sick, and aside from a runny nose, a rough cough and some wheezing that forced us to use the nebulizer for about a week and a few styes on her eyelids, she has continued to stay well. Anyone who knows our history with our sweet girl knows what a great relief this is to us. We are SO thankful for her continued health. On top of that, she is growing at a much more rapid rate than in previous years. 

I have been feeling much better as well. I am finally at a place where I seem to be able to get a decent run in without causing major joint pain or skin lesions. In fact, getting back on the treadmill after a long period of supplementing and diet modifications seems to be helping A LOT. Previously, running much over a mile and a half to two miles caused more flares. This is a major hurdle, and I'm excited about possibly doing the distance running thing again.  

Here's a little Advent gift. Hopefully the link will work. There are photos in the video of our church back in San Antonio, of one of our missionaries to India and of the kids' favorite playground at the Igo Library. Here's to hope!
Happy Advent!









1 comment:

Cindy said...

Girl, you are way too hard on yourself. You’re like me, you love this time of the year and you want it to be perfect. Let me just remind you, it already is. If you did nothing else between now and the end of the year, it would already be perfect. Because you have already created a home and family that foster an environment of love and joy.

My prayer for you this holiday season is that you will find little quiet moments throughout the next few weeks to stand back and drink it all in. I pray that your heart is filled, pressed down and overflowing with a pure joy that goes beyond the wrapping paper and twinkle lights.

You are wonderfully and beautifully made, sweet girl. A gift that I am thankful to have in my life.