So...
...unless you like your cheese to taste like ZUCCHINI and have the consistency of CAFETERIA JELLO, just don't do this to yourself. While it's not all that much effort, the simple act of breathing is too much effort when what you get in return is the above described zucchini cheese. Needless to say, I was feeling desperate for a cheese-like substance, so I tried it. Never again. Nutritional yeast is what gives it a "cheese-ish" taste, but actually that's overstating things right on into the next century. Don't forget that we're still really close to the beginning of this century. I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT try the zucchini cheese recipe. I am forcing it down to get the calories and because I would rather eat that {blech} than stand in the kitchen preparing one more thing. The only redeeming quality is the parsley. Parsley tastes like parsley and has the consistency of parsley. And it has a calming effect on your stomach after you've experienced the disgusting-ness that is zucchini cheese. Let me just say it one more time for effect. DO NOT attempt the zucchini cheese! You're welcome.
I know that I may stand alone here, but from the time I was a little tyke, I have always gagged on sweet potatoes. To me, those little melted marshmallows on top just made things that much worse. How could anyone mess up a melted marshmallow by putting it on top of sweet potatoes? That is a question for the ages. I will likely never get a satisfactory answer. I'm quite sure that many of my taste buds have died, but I still gag on sweet potatoes. I want my white potatoes back. I need to check that re-introduction list because if white potatoes are not early, early in the process, I'm a goner. Plantain chips are pretty good, but potato chips!! French fries!!!!
One thing I had completely forgotten about AIP... every stinkin' thing tastes like coconut (almost). I actually like the taste and texture of coconut. I used to sneak into the pantry when I was a kid and grab hand fulls of coconut shreds and stuff them in my mouth. Heaven. I'd never had an aversion to it, that is, until my first go at AIP. That's another thing about the zucchini cheese. What cheese have you eaten, ever in your life, that had even a hint of coconut flavor? Right. None.
All kidding aside (Keep in mind, I'm absolutely NOT kidding about the zucchini cheese.), I feel better, the foot pain is slowly subsiding and I've got WAY more energy on less caffeine. My kitchen floor actually got mopped last night (Don't ask me when that happened last.).
I did slip up and have a gluten-free chocolate cookie with mint-chocolate icing melted all over the top of it at Happy Creek Coffee Sunday night. Jason was my partner in crime, and he did help me eat it. So, thankfully, I did not consume the cookie in its entirety. Then, with that memory of minty chocolate in my mouth, I sneaked some of Melanie's York Peppermint Patty minis out of the pantry. When I say some, I mean at least twenty. Can I just say, it was so worth it! I'm now back into plateau mode on the scale, and I had a couple days worth of... oh nevermind. But man oh man... mint and chocolate. Those cookies are out of this world. Don't go to Happy Creek unless you have way more self control than this gal.
I realize I'm supposed to be supporting you on your dietary path to health and wellness. And hopefully I have. This is definitely a worthy journey, but if you become overly anxious about what's going into your body, or if you over do the exercise, you can eat all the right things and experience set backs. These AIP books are full of good ideas, and they're full of quite a few suggestions that I just can't get behind. And I'm learning that it's okay. The occasional dietary slip is not the end of the world. For someone like me, gluten can set me back for six months to a year, but all the other stuff is a hiccup. There's grace for all of it. So if you get a cheese craving, and you can't fight it, just eat some cheese and realize that there will be consequences, but they will be much less intense than the realization that you have half a container of zucchini "cheese" sitting in the fridge that you feel obligated to consume. I hope that puts it all into the right perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment